First- I would not have taken a year out of my life to come and expose your school to English if you didn't want me there.
Second- First grade bilingual science is HARD! This is the students first exposure to learning an entire class in a foreign language, so yes they probably are going to act up and be misbehaved. They don't understand what is going on, but once they do, they soak it up like sponges and retain it!
Third- Looking back to a few weeks ago when the director came to shadow my class, I can finally see that there are haters out there in the world of bilingual education. The bilingual program in Andalucia is extremely new, it has only been around for 2 years. So yes, there are still some kinks to work out, but the students that are getting exposure to English at such a young age will know so much more when they leave the school than the current sixth grade students do.
I am very frustrated that people cannot see that exposure to another language at a young age is an amazing opportunity. As the world continues to get smaller with new technology every day, students will need to be able to communicate with people all around the world. Also, learning a new language also means learning a new culture. Students who are exposed to cultures/backgrounds of people who are different from them are much more likely to be globally minded, creative, independent thinkers for our future. It also helps to break stereotypes that are created. Stereotypes are created because people are not open to things that are different from them, so students who are exposed to different cultures are much less likely to hold stereotypes.
Anyway, I don't want to continue ranting. I just finished applying for over 23 bilingual districts in the United States for next year. So, I know that I will be empowering young minds and exposing them to cultural opportunities that they may have never had in a typical school environment. I cannot wait to start hearing back from some districts :)
No comments:
Post a Comment