Thursday, January 26, 2012

Technology- Best friend and worst enemy all in one

This week was better than last week in terms of student behavior, but I still had a tough week. I taught the worst lesson I have ever taught in my entire time teaching so far. I also had a lot of other mishaps throughout the week.

In 2nd grade science/social studies, my students got their Animals exams back. I am proud to say that only 1 student failed and over half got a 8 or above (their grading system is out of 10). I feel that this was the first unit where they really understood not only the topic, but the English vocabulary as well. We continued working on our plants unit, which is going by very quickly since they already learned all of the vocabulary last year in 1st grade. Tuesday was a bit of a rough day because my co-teacher left me (and her cell phone) alone with the class. Normally, it isn't a problem for me to be by myself with the children, but the issue was, her cell phone kept going off. Her ringtone is "Moves Like Jagger" by Maroon 5 and don't get me wrong, I like that song, but having 28 children dancing and off topic every time the phone rang was a bit distracting. Today, the students listened to the story The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle, then made tissue paper flower collages. Reading the book to the class was a bit difficult since the book was in Spanish and I had to translate and read at the same time.
 

 

In 1st grade, I was proposed to this week. At the end of class on Monday, one of my students Francisco came up and gave me a huge hug. I call him my extra limb every class because he always comes up and attaches himself onto my middle. As he was hugging me, he told me that I am "guapa" (pretty) and that he loves me with about 10 different words. Then he went on to say that he couldn't imagine living one day without me in his life. It was pretty precious, but his girlfriend (yes, he is 7 and has a girlfriend), got very upset and started crying. Needless to say, I turned him down and told him to go back with Paula.

6th grade was really tough this week. I walked in and had a lesson prepared, but nothing seemed to go right. I had taken Adele's "Someone Like You" and removed some words from the lyrics. I took out words that we have been working on as vocabulary, mainly contractions and past tense verbs. In my first class, the lesson worked, everything was great. We used the Promethean Board to write in the missing lyrics as a class and then I had the whole class sing the song. Then, I went into my other 6th grade class. I plugged my flash drive into the smart board, pressed play and the sound was absolutely awful. So, I decided, no big deal, I will just plug it into the CD player. The speakers on the CD player were broken. Then I plugged it into the computer and those speakers were broken TOO! I decided to go ask for a CD down in the secretary's office, but then when I tried to burn the CD, it wouldn't work. I decided to try and find the video on YouTube, which also had awful sound. I finally gave up because almost 45 of our 55 minutes together had passed. I decided that I would just sing the song. Ok, I can sing since I was in choir for so long, but Adele? You've got to be kidding me, I made a huge fool of myself in front of the class The students weren't even filling in the words, they were laughing at me. Milagros was talking to the students about respecting each other and themselves because they have been having a lot of issues with that is the 6th grade recently, so it wasn't a complete loss of a day, but I still felt embarrassed and bad.

This weekend, I am going to visit a small village called Arcos de la Fronterra. I think it will be nice to get away for a night and just relax. I am really looking forward to next week when my dad gets here and we go to Schweinfurt, Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment