Yesterday was my first time babysitting here in Spain. I was worried that it was going to be too long of a time, since it was just one ten year girl for 3 hours, but it ended up being a lot of fun. I pick her up right when I get home from Bormujos. I have to catch the metro from near my bus stop to her school. I pick her up then we study her English vocabulary for the week. After, I was showing her my iPhone which she loved. She played AngryBirds and Fruit Ninja on my phone. Then we had time to play a couple quick games of Connect 4, all of which she beat me in. So, it turns out kids here aren't any different from kids in the USA.
Today in first grade, I was surprised by my students at the beginning of the class. They were coming in from recess and each one gave me a kiss on the cheek (I was sitting down) before going to their seats. It was a little bit weird because in the US, you can't even safely hug a child without worrying about the repercussions. Then, I said good morning to the students as I always do and they replied "Good morning, hello guapa!" (pretty girl). So I tried to teach them the word for pretty because they are constantly calling me guapa (which I'm not complaining about, what girl doesn't want to be told she looks pretty), but since it was English class, I figured I would teach them. The best they could get was "peely" so we are going to keep working on that word each class. I think they will catch on in a couple of weeks...
No comments:
Post a Comment